Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The BEST of 2013. #12 - 9

The TOP 12 Albums of 2013
12-9

As the year is winding down, I am pretty confident that I have heard everything I wanted to hear this year. Click here to read the primer to the list that I wrote a couple of weeks ago. In short form? This was a TREMENDOUS year in music. This list was truly a labor of love, as the re-listen to everything I had heard since January, jumbled the rankings up more than I thought could happen. That said, I am very confident in how everything fell, and am happy to present the list to you, the reader.

Before we dive into the best of the best…..a few that JUST missed the top 12 (and what made me think of extending it to 15…it was THAT good a year). One line and one track on each.

Cage The Elephant – Melophobia
Victim of the re-listen, loved on the initial release, failed to keep speaking to me after the fact…
One Track: Come A Little Closer

Balance And Composure – Things We Think We’re Missing
A touch below their debut, strong throughout, but not enough to push any higher….
One Track: Lost Your Name

The National – Trouble Will Find Me
The opposite of Cage, with more listens, it would probably crawl into the bottom half of the 12….
One Track: Slipped


And now, let’s get to it. My favorite albums of the year, starting with 12-9. Remember the simple rules:
No Best Of
No Live
No Comps


Number 12

Volcano Choir – Repave

The top 12 starts with a record that up until about 3 months ago, would have easily checked in to the top 5. The reason for the “drop” is two-fold:
1) A LOT of great stuff came out since September
2) The re-listen made me take a more critical look
This is not to say it’s not a very good album, as it is. It’s just upon listen after listen, my excitement, while never waning, never increased either. The Bon Iver side project’s sophomore release is rife with great instrumentation, as well as the distinct voice of Justin Vernon. But unlike the Bon Iver records, Vernon has an avenue to let his range show, breaking down the usual falsetto wall, and allowing full register to be at the forefront. And guess what? It works very well. The record lacks a true standout track, and like a few records upcoming further up the list, works much better as a whole. If you like Bon Iver, it will not disappoint, and may become a “background music” staple.
Key Tracks: Byegone, Acetate



Number 11

Pearl Jam – Lightning Bolt

One of the most anticipated releases of the year in the household. I had a lot of expectations, following the resurgent release Backspacer, and Lightning Bolt, while not knocking it out of the park, certainly was a great offering from Mr. Vedder and the band. The obvious highlight is “Sirens”, which is easily one of the best songs of the year. A simple mid-tempo anthem, it soars with Eddie’s vocals and the unmistakable Mike McCready guitar sound. Other highlights include "Mind Your Manners", a punkish rocker with a FANTASTIC bridge and "Infallible", a mid-tempo bluesy feeling tune. The issue I have with the record, and why I can’t rate it higher, is that, like Backspacer, Lightning Bolt gets VERY uneven in the second half. I know that sequence of songs should not matter THAT much, but in this case, for me, it is a detriment. That said, if you skip around to what you want to listen to in whatever order, it may work better. A great, not REALLY great effort from Pearl Jam.
Key Tracks: Sirens, Fathers Son, Mind Your Manners.



Number 10

Mazzy Star – Seasons Of Your Day

17 years. 4 sets of Olympics, 4 World Cups….hell, it’s my son’s AGE! That is the number of years since the last Mazzy Star record came out. That is a hell of a hiatus. It’s crazy to think that I was in my 20s when "Fade Into You" hit the airwaves (but kid you not, despite the boyish looks, I was). So, when I was made aware that Hope Sandoval and David Roback were coming back to the scene…while excited, I was a bit skeptical. Could they recapture the magic that “Fade” had? Did they still have something to say? Were they aware that “their sound” should not be changed, as it would be re-welcomed into today’s landscape? The answer to all three, is a resounding YES. From the moment the record starts, the ethereal landscape is set. Roback has a defined talent in setting a mood from the first note that is struck. And then Hope’s voice….never loud, never reaching, just a perfect balance of emotion and verve that sets her apart from singers 20 years her junior. As the record plays, one song flows into the next. The textures are brilliant, the lyrics captivating, and the “Mazzy” sound envelops the room. The highlight is “California”, which I would rank in the top 10 songs of the year (there will be a side-bar type post to address this), but in all honesty, you could pick 6 songs off the record as a contender. This was my genuine surprise of the year, and a record that has had many a spin on the turntable. (bonus points for purple vinyl)
Key Tracks: California, Lay Myself Down, Sparrow



Number 9

Boxer Rebellion – Promises

In 2011, I became a TAD bit addicted to Boxer Rebellion. The Cold Still was in heavy rotation for me for a good two months, and every time I listened, I picked up something new from Nathan Nicholson and company. So, I was eagerly awaiting the follow up. I was not only not disappointed, I was blown away. Promises, while sounding like a Boxer Rebellion album, takes the SOUND to a new level. The first song, and first single, “Diamonds” sets the ethereal tone, taking the listener on a swell of emotions in a perfectly crafted 4 minutes. Howe’s guitar work has evolved into a signature sound, ala The Edge. Nicholson’s voice has never sounded better, soaring in spots, quiet in others. He may have taken the title from Chris Martin for “best well placed falsetto” as well. From “Diamonds” all the way through to the closer “Promises”, this is clearly their best work.
Key Tracks: Diamonds, Keep Moving, New York, Promises

No comments:

Post a Comment