Thursday, November 7, 2013

Covers On YOUTUBE

SOME OF THE BEST COVERS ON YOUTUBE

In advance of what has become an exhaustive process of ranking the best records of 2013, I wanted to NOT rank some of the best cover versions on YOUTUBE. No order, no ranking….just pure bliss. Here we go…..
Jeffery Gaines – In Your Eyes
Let’s start here. Take one of my favorite songs, an ICONIC piece of music, and strip it down to guitar and a different vocal take…..I’m in. Covers of PG songs are tricky for me (even though this is 1 of 2 on the list) because I hold the originals in such high esteem. However, Gaines kills this version, despite the hacky “live” video.
Pearl Jam – Baba O’ Riley
Absolute “must be” part of any set list for the Seattle rockers. I would feel cheated if I was at a PJ show and they did not break this out. Mikey M nails the riff, Cameron is SPOT on behind the kit….and Ament…..well, Jeff is Jeff. Wait? Did I mention Eddie’s scream at 1:43? (or his donation of 30 tambourines to Brazil faithful?)
Nine Inch Nails w/Gary Numan – Cars
No secret that BOTH of these acts will break the top 10 for 2013 with their TREMENDOUS albums. Put them together….. NICE

Elbow – Mercy Street
Back to a Gabriel cover….but if ANY band could handle it, it is Elbow. If you listen to their early work, Guy sounds SO much like PG it’s kind of scary. When the “Scratch My Back” project came about, and PG covered Mirrorball (brilliantly BTW) I was waiting with baited breath to hear the return…..so not disappointed.
Stereophonics/Tom Jones – Mama Told Me Not To Come
Unabashedly, I think that Kelly Jones has one of the best voices in rock and roll. SOOOOO, lets team him up with a legend. The result? They made it their own. Three Dog Who?
Foo Fighters – Rock And Roll
OK, it DOES help the AURA of it, that JPJ and Page are on stage. BUT!!! Dave behind a kit WAILING? Sign Me Up. (intro is not safe for kids)
What are your favorites? Drop in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment