Friday, May 8, 2015

My Take On - I WENT to Letterman

So…….yeah……
So I have a day. A wonderful, GLORIOUS, TIRED day to soak it all in. Wonderful? Right, I think you get it. Glorious? Well sure, it WAS Dave. Tired? Well, that may need some explaining…..
See…I shared the day…well, no, let me correct that. The FABULOUS, WONDEFUL, BEAUTIFUL Keri let me share this day with her! As she arranged everything, pulled a string here and there, got us not only to VIP status, but subsequently to “that’s the VIP line to get in, let me lead you to your PERFECT seat selection prior” status. Here I am, going to the MOST IMPORTANT show of my lifetime (yes, it does eclipse SNL) and my perfect, wonderful, beautiful aMAZing partner…..has it all covered.
So we head into the Ed Sullivan Theater. Where the BEATLES debuted for goodness sake. And we watched, as First Aid Kit ran though their INCREDIBLE version of “America”…..3 times. Dress. Blocking. And OMGG, Biff Henderson running the blocking.
And it really hit me.
I am in the Ed Sullivan Theater
I am watching DRESS rehearsal of my idol’s show
The most amazing woman, who at the moment,was to my right (we usually make sure it’s the other way) is responsible for it all.
Every moment
Every second
KERI, is the reason.
Truly

And then, as the rest of the crowd gets seated, (we were early, as noted, so we watched 400 “non-VIP’ers” take their seats, including Chris Fowler from ESPN….it’s who you know buddy) the air was such a palpable WOW. I was here, the show I have been a follower of for 33 years, the MAN who was my idol, every day of that path….damn, the BAND, who was part of the entire run.
And here I was.
My Shrine
My Sanctuary
The INSTITUTION

And I watched in awe. Every segment, every break, every everything. Lights on? Lights off? Dave’s room. And while what you witness during a taping does not fully equate to what airs? Holy good God, it’s damn close.

This day, MY favorite day, happened because of Keri Arpino, and I could not be more happy. She took EVERYTHING I have ever told her about my “comedy career”, and made magic happen. So Thank You Keri. From the bottom of my heart. #watchthegap #ifyouseesomething and most importantly, #USBchampion
Thanks!
dp

No comments:

Post a Comment